Saturday, October 30, 2010

Introduction

I’ve been photographing throughout the South since 1999, when I moved to Mississippi.  I photograph primarily (but not exclusively) on black-and-white film, although I now make hi-resolution scans of the negatives and make digital prints from those scans.  I use both 35mm and 120 film, depending on subject matter.  Generally speaking, if it’s going to hold still for me (landscapes) I use 120; if it isn’t (people) I use 35.  
  
This blog is an attempt to sort through the work I’ve done in the South and place some of the better images in one of several grouped portfolios.  The largest of those, in terms of quantity, will be two groups of images I’ve been spending most of my time on in recent years.  I’ve given one of them a title – “The Power of Belief: The Spiritual Landscape of the American South.”  The other doesn’t have an official name yet, although I think of the pictures as “Townscapes.”  They are photographs of small town environments throughout the American South that are, in one way or another, about the relationship between past and present.  Because there are so many images in these two groups, however, I’m going to wait to post them until I’m more comfortable with this whole blogging process.
 
Some of the other, smaller bodies of work include rural landscapes, images made at a variety of public events, photographs of tourists enjoying various places in the South, and pictures of things I’ve encountered on southern roadsides as I drive from one place to another.  I’m going to start by posting some of the roadside pictures.  I’ll sequence them with the most recent first and will add more as they find their way out of the camera.




No comments:

Post a Comment